Woo hoo! My first project knitted in the round, my first period SCA project, and my first attempt at stranded colorwork. It’s done, and I am really thrilled with how it came out.
This was knitted in the round with a DK weight silk/wool blend, on size 5 needles. The drawstring is fingerlooped (a lace bend round of 8 bowes) with silk. I didn’t note the weight or type, but it was the finest I could find in the colors I wanted. Next time, I’ll make note of these things so I can find it again.
I made the bag using Chris Laning’s instructions, substituting a simple diamond pattern both because I wanted this to be correct for a European persona and because this was my first time ever doing stranding.
I also found examples of knitted Elizabethan items with diamond motifs. (Not that I have the links on this computer, unfortunately.)
If there’s software for doing color charts, I want it. I ended up mapping this out in Excel, which was obnoxiously time-consuming. For repeating patterns, though, I found that once I had the basic idea, I was looking at the row above rather than at the color chart.